Adventure enthusiasts from Jharkhand conquers Mt Everest
New Delhi: Under the expert guidance of legendary mountaineer Bachendri Pal, three youth from Jharkhand on Thursday scaled the world`s tallest mountain peak Mount Everest.
Tata Steel Adventure Foundation, headed by Pal, had trained the three youth -- Meghlal Mahato, Binita Soren and Rajendra Singh Pal, brother of Bachendri Pal. Tata Steel had sponsored Rs 75 lakh for their expedition to Mt Everest.
Rajendra reached the summit at 04:40am today followed by Binita and Meglal who could reach the peak at 06:50am, a release said.
Rajendra had earlier climbed Mt Rudugaira (19,100 ft) in 1995 and was a leader and summiter of Mt Sudarshan (21,346 ft) in 2000. He was also a member of Millennium Indian Everest Expedition (East Ridge) in 2001.
Meghlal Mahato has climbed Mt Stok Kangri (20,305 ft) in 2009 and Mt Saser Kangri (24,331ft) in 2011. Binita Soren was a member of Indian women`s First Thar Desert Expedition across the international border -- from Bhuj in Gujarat to Wagah in Punjab -- a camel safari across Gujarat-Rajasthan-Punjab covering over 2,000km in 30 days.
The team had set out from Kathmandu on March 25 and opted to trek from Jiri to Lukla.
Bachendri Pal, the leader of the successful Indo-Nepal expedition to the world`s highest peak in 1993 and the first Indian woman to climb Mt Everest, accompanied the climbers from Jiri to Tengboche to see them off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands