Adventure sport `Zorbing` claims one life in Russia
Moscow: An extreme sports enthusiast died and another was seriously injured when an inflatable ball they were in rolled down a snowy mountain and plunged off a cliff in southern Russia, authorities said.
The accident happened Jan 3 at the mountain sports resort of Dombai in Russia`s North Caucasus mountain range, the country`s Investigative Committee said in a statement Tuesday.
A man identified as 27-year-old, D. Burakov, died after breaking his neck in the fall, while his acquaintance Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with a concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body.
The so-called orb carrying the two men was supposed to come to a gentle halt at the bottom of a slope but veered off course, teetering on the edge of a ravine before plunging down it.
The orb eventually stopped about a kilometre away on a frozen lake, investigators said.
An investigation has been opened into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.
The maximum penalty is ten years in prison.
The recreational sport, known as zorbing, orginated in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA