Adventure sport `Zorbing` claims one life in Russia
Moscow: An extreme sports enthusiast died and another was seriously injured when an inflatable ball they were in rolled down a snowy mountain and plunged off a cliff in southern Russia, authorities said.
The accident happened Jan 3 at the mountain sports resort of Dombai in Russia`s North Caucasus mountain range, the country`s Investigative Committee said in a statement Tuesday.
A man identified as 27-year-old, D. Burakov, died after breaking his neck in the fall, while his acquaintance Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with a concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body.
The so-called orb carrying the two men was supposed to come to a gentle halt at the bottom of a slope but veered off course, teetering on the edge of a ravine before plunging down it.
The orb eventually stopped about a kilometre away on a frozen lake, investigators said.
An investigation has been opened into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.
The maximum penalty is ten years in prison.
The recreational sport, known as zorbing, orginated in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’