Adventure sport `Zorbing` claims one life in Russia
Moscow: An extreme sports enthusiast died and another was seriously injured when an inflatable ball they were in rolled down a snowy mountain and plunged off a cliff in southern Russia, authorities said.
The accident happened Jan 3 at the mountain sports resort of Dombai in Russia`s North Caucasus mountain range, the country`s Investigative Committee said in a statement Tuesday.
A man identified as 27-year-old, D. Burakov, died after breaking his neck in the fall, while his acquaintance Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with a concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body.
The so-called orb carrying the two men was supposed to come to a gentle halt at the bottom of a slope but veered off course, teetering on the edge of a ravine before plunging down it.
The orb eventually stopped about a kilometre away on a frozen lake, investigators said.
An investigation has been opened into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.
The maximum penalty is ten years in prison.
The recreational sport, known as zorbing, orginated in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?