Adventure sport `Zorbing` claims one life in Russia
Moscow: An extreme sports enthusiast died and another was seriously injured when an inflatable ball they were in rolled down a snowy mountain and plunged off a cliff in southern Russia, authorities said.
The accident happened Jan 3 at the mountain sports resort of Dombai in Russia`s North Caucasus mountain range, the country`s Investigative Committee said in a statement Tuesday.
A man identified as 27-year-old, D. Burakov, died after breaking his neck in the fall, while his acquaintance Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with a concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body.
The so-called orb carrying the two men was supposed to come to a gentle halt at the bottom of a slope but veered off course, teetering on the edge of a ravine before plunging down it.
The orb eventually stopped about a kilometre away on a frozen lake, investigators said.
An investigation has been opened into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.
The maximum penalty is ten years in prison.
The recreational sport, known as zorbing, orginated in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble