Adventure sport `Zorbing` claims one life in Russia
Moscow: An extreme sports enthusiast died and another was seriously injured when an inflatable ball they were in rolled down a snowy mountain and plunged off a cliff in southern Russia, authorities said.
The accident happened Jan 3 at the mountain sports resort of Dombai in Russia`s North Caucasus mountain range, the country`s Investigative Committee said in a statement Tuesday.
A man identified as 27-year-old, D. Burakov, died after breaking his neck in the fall, while his acquaintance Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with a concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body.
The so-called orb carrying the two men was supposed to come to a gentle halt at the bottom of a slope but veered off course, teetering on the edge of a ravine before plunging down it.
The orb eventually stopped about a kilometre away on a frozen lake, investigators said.
An investigation has been opened into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.
The maximum penalty is ten years in prison.
The recreational sport, known as zorbing, orginated in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II