Afghanistan`s only Olympian bows out over accusations
Kabul: Afghanistan`s only Olympic medallist, taekwondo star and national hero Rohullah Nikpa, announced today that he would boycott international competition unless reforms root out discrimination and mismanagement within the sport in his country.
The 26-year-old said he would not compete in this week`s WTF World Taekwondo Championships in Puebla, Mexico, to protest against poor management and discrimination within Afghanistan`s Taekwondo Federation (ATF).
"It has been there, discrimination and mismanagement. It is like a clique, a group of people have taken over the ATF and are doing whatever they want with no regard to athletes` needs," Nikpa said.
"This situation has negatively affected our abilities - both physically and psychologically... I hereby announce I will no longer represent Afghanistan on the international stage unless serious reforms are made in the ATF," he added.
The decision by the twice Olympic bronze medallist will be viewed as a step backwards for the war-torn country. As a member of the minority Hazara community, he is seen by Afghans as a unifying figure across different ethnic groups.
The ATF rejected Nikpa`s allegations, saying that the athlete had informed the organisation a month ago that he would not go to Mexico because of injury.
"All his wins since 2009 were under the current ATF leadership. We cannot understand why he is making these accusations," secretary general Mirwais Bahawi said.
Nikpa denies pulling out due to injury, saying that a recurring knee problem did not stop him from competing and winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
Trainer Mohammed Bashir Taraki also resigned recently, telling AFP it was to protest against mismanagement, favouritism and poor selection decisions within in the ATF.
"He (the head of the ATF) brings people from his own taekwondo club to the federation regardless of their capabilities and professionalism, and sends fighters from his own club to take part in international competitions, not the people who really deserve it," he said.
Nikpa is a fairytale hero in a war-ravaged country.
As a 10-year-old obsessed with Bruce Lee and martial arts movies, he followed his brother to the taekwondo club while civil war raged in Afghanistan.
He was 14 when the Taliban regime fell at the end of 2001 and began training in Kabul in earnest while a bloody insurgency against the government and its NATO allies raged throughout the country.
Partly thanks to Nikpa, taekwondo has become one of the most popular sports in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced