AFI president clarifies age criteria confusion
New Delhi: Athletics Federation of India (AFI) president Adille Sumariwalla Monday clarified that a confusion in the eligibility rules led to the selection of overage athletes for the ongoing second Asian Youth Games in Nanjing, China.
Sumariwalla told IANS that AFI went by the International Athletics Federation (IAAF) rules whereas the organisers applied the rules set by Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).
"In this case we had to go by IAAF rules according to which athletes born post-1996 were eligible. Moreover, the organisers issued visas to the participants knowing fully well the age mentioned in their passports. But only after reaching there we came to know of the criteria applied by the organisers -- those born between 1997 to 1999 (i.e. 14 to 16 years of age in 2013)," Sumariwalla told IANS.
Sumariwalla said AFI is not affiliated to the OCA and had to follow IAAF rules while sending player for the Youth Games.
The AFI president assured that such things won`t happen in future.
"It is not the time to start a blame game. We have to make sure that such things don`t happen in future again. I can understand what the young athletes had to undergo after they were came to know that they were not eligible for the Games," the former athlete said.
The Sports Authority of India (SAI), however, blamed the AFI for the mess.
SAI director general Jiji Thomson told IANS that the whole selection process was flawed.
"The whole selection process was flawed. They should have been aware of the tournament rules. If we try to intervene too much in the selection process then we will be seen as as the big brother infringing on their autonomy," Thomson told IANS.
Thomson was surprised that overage players were selected despite a proper trial by the AFI.
"I am surprised that this took place despite proper selection trials in Thiruvanthapuram by the AFI," Thomson added.
The 18 athletes were part of the 27-member Indian athletics squad. They were told to pack and fly back without competing, leaving the squad severely depleted in important disciplines.
This comes two days after four Indian badminton players found that their names were not sent by the Badminton Federation of India (BFI) for their respective events.
The Indian athletes are participating in the event as "Independent Olympic Athletes" as the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) is under suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’