After failed gender test, it`s redemption time for Santhi
New Delhi: Santhi Soundarajan, the impoverished middle-distance runner who was stripped of her Asian Games medal after failing a gender test and left to work as a labourer, will soon be able to realise her dream of becoming a qualified athletics coach.
The pain and suffering Santhi has been subjected to will soon become a thing of the past as the Sports Authority of India has provided her a chance to pursue a diploma course in athletics from the National Institute of Sports, Bangalore.
SAI has also written to the Tamil Nadu state government to fund her expenses during her stay at the complex.
"Santhi will undergo her diploma course from NIS, Bangalore to become a qualified coach. She had been alloted a separate accommodation for her course at NIS, Patiala where she was originally admitted to pursue her course, but now on her request, we have decided to shift her to Bangalore, the city closer to her hometown (in Villupuram district) in Tamil Nadu," SAI DG Jiji Thomson told PTI.
"She will be alloted a separate room outside the hostel complex during her diploma course for the year 2013-14 which begins from July 3," he added.
He also informed that SAI was awaiting a reply from Tamil Nadu chief secretary Sheela Balakrishnan on its plea to fund Santhi`s expenses for undergoing the course.
"I had written a letter to the chief secretary a week ago. We are yet to hear from her but we are quite hopeful that the state government will come forward and fund Santhi`s expenses," he said.
For Santhi, it has been a tumultuous journey so far. She became the cynosure of all eyes when she won a silver medal in the 2006 Doha Asian Games. But a failed gender test a few months later, and the athlete was immediately stripped of her achievement. She was later left to work as a daily-wager in a brick kiln in Tamil Nadu
Last year the country woke up to the news of the 26-year-old slogging eight hours under scorching heat to earn a measly sum of Rs 200 per day.
The Union government took cognisance of the matter and promised Santhi a seat at the NIS, Patiala.
Another SAI official informed that Santhi would be spending around 10 months at the NIS complex in Bangalore.
"Her gender verification had been relaxed for admission to the diploma course but all other terms and conditions for admission will be followed. SAI DG, in March this year, promptly took up her case and detested the idea of a gender test and grant her admission for a course in Patiala after seeking advice from the Union Sports Ministry," the official said.
Santhi had been banned by the Athletics Federation of India from competing in national and international competitions after failing the test in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered