After superb 2012, Saina Nehwal starts quest for new highs
New Delhi: After a highly successful 2012, Saina Nehwal will look to start the new year on a winning note when she takes the court at the season-opening Korea Super Series Premier badminton tournament at Seoul from Wednesday.
The 22-year-old brought home India`s first Olympic medal in badminton when she clinched the bronze in London last year and this year, Saina has already set her eyes on the All England and World Championship titles.
However, the world number three Indian will look to get into the groove early during the Korea Open. The draw is also in her favour as she will start her campaign against Sapsiree Taerattanachai of Thailand tomorrow at the SK Handball Stadium.
Saina is likely to sail to the quarterfinals where she is expected to meet sixth seed Ratchanok Intanon. If she can get across the young sensation from Thailand, Saina is likely to meet Olympic champion and world number one Li Xuerui in the semifinals.
Among others, world number 14 Parupalli Kashyap will take on England`s Rajiv Ouseph in the men`s singles first round.
Rajiv had beaten Kashyap in the semifinals of the 2010 Commonwealth Games but the Indian avenged his loss during their last meeting at China Masters in 2011. Kashyap is in good form, especially after ending the year with his first international title -- the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold.
His first round rival Rajiv, on the other hand, is struggling for form as he suffered five first-round defeats from the six tournaments following London 2012 which ousted him from the world?s top 30 bracket.
Another player rising up the ranks in Indian badminton is P V Sindhu and she will clash with Lindaweni Fanetri in her opening round. She is likely to take on Olympic champion and top seed Li Xuerui in the second round on Thursday.
For the records, the 17-year-old from Hyderabad had defeated Li just after her Olympic feat, during China Masters in September last year.
The tournament in Seoul is the first of five Premier events in the 2013 World Super Series circuit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview