Age is no bar for Mann Kaur, 96, to run half marathon
New Delhi: The Airtel Delhi Half Marathon will see a 96-year-old participant Mann Kaur, who will be the oldest runner in the event.
As someone who truly defies age, Mann Kaur is getting set to demonstrate to Delhiites that age is no bar and that barriers exist only in the mind.
Mann Kaur, who hails from Chandigarh, has raced her way to glory in many championships with training from son Gurdev Singh, who lives in Canada and is also a runner. She took to running on encouragement of her son, who is 75 years old himself.
Recently Kaur won a gold medal each in the 100 and 200 metres in the World Masters Athletic Championship in Sacramento, US.
"In 2008, I went to Canada for the World Masters Championship where I saw a participant named Olga, who was 90 years old. It was then that I convinced my mother to take up athletics as I knew her fitness levels," said Gurdev.
Together with her son, Mann Kaur is gearing up to participate in this year`s Delhi Half Marathon. For both of them, it`s the first time at the event in Delhi, and Mann Kaur is all excited to run that extra mile with her son.
Talking about her participation in the event, she said, "I feel privileged to have represented India at the World Masters Athletic Championship. This year, my son and I are participating in the Delhi Half Marathon and I am really excited."
The Delhi Half Marathon among the country`s top running events and one of the few half marathons from around the world which enjoy IAAF Gold Label Status is scheduled to be held Sep 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday