Ahmedabad to host Federation Cup basketball
Ahmedabad: Defending champions ONGC (Uttarakhand) men and Tamil Nadu women will hope to replicate their last year`s performance at the 28th Federation Cup National Basketball Championship for Men and Women to be held here Jan 4-9.
Gujarat Basketball Association (GBA) will host the tournament, organised by the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) and supported by IMG-Reliance, to be held at YMCA International Centre.
Eighteen teams, nine men`s and women`s each, will participate in the country’s top competition played on a league-cum-knockout basis. The winner will take home Rs.1 lakh while the first and second runners-up will respectively receive Rs.75,000 and Rs.50,000.
The event will showcase some of the best talents like Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, Yadvinder Singh, Trideep Rai, Amritpal Singh, Narender Grewal, Palpreet Singh, Rikin Pethani, P. Anitha, Raja Priya Dharsini, P.S. Jeena, Manisha Dange and Shireen Limaye.
“I am pleased to announce that the 28th Federation Cup National Basketball Championship for Men and Women will be held in Ahmedabad. BFI is thankful to GBA for rendering its support in hosting the event this year,” BFI chief executive officer Roopam Harish Sharma said.
The Federation Cup, which began in 1984, is held annually and is the most coveted tournament in the BFI calendar.
The following are the teams:
Men: ONGC (Uttarakhand), Bhilai Steel Plant (Chhattisgarh), Bhavnagar District (Gujarat), Northeast Frontier Railway, Central Excise (Kerala), Border Security Force (Punjab), Distt. Sikar (Rajasthan), Army Red (Services) and India Overseas Bank (Tamil Nadu).
Women: Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Southern Railway, Punjab, Kerala, Karnataka, Gujarat, Delhi and Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM