AI beat IOC to claim Obaidullah Khan Gold Cup
Bhopal: Last year`s runners-up Air India (AI) lifted the International Obaidullah Khan Gold Cup hockey tournament title by defeating holders Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) 4-3 in the final.
For Air India, Shivendra Singh and captain Arjun Halappa scored two goals each last night.
AI played an attacking game from the start, and led 2-1 at the half time.
Olympian Shivendra scored his first goal in the seventh minute before Halappa doubled the lead for AI in the 24th minute.
Four minutes later, Gurjinder Singh reduced the margiun for IOC, scoring from a penalty corner.
But after the breather Shivendra scored from a penalty corner before Gurjinder converted another set piece for IOC to make the scoreline 2-3.
In the 59th minute, Halappa scored his second to make the scoreline 4-2 in favour of AI.
Even though Gurjinder completed his hat-trick in the 64th minute, it was not enough for IOC to defend the title.
In the third-fourth place play-off match, Punjab and Sindh Bank beat ONGC 3-2.
Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan gave away the awards.
Winner AI returned home with a cash prize of Rs 21 lakh and a trophy while runners-up IOC received a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh.
AI`s Shivendra was adjudged man-of-the-match, while Gurjinder was declared man-of-the-tournament.
Abdul Samad of Bhopal Red was adjudged best goal-keeper, his teammate Affan Yuosuf as best forward, Diwakar Ram of ONGC as best defender and Vikram Pillai of AI as best mid-fielder.
Several former players and Olympians including Aslam Sher Khan, Sameer Dad, Dhanraj Pillai, Ashok Dhyanchand, Jalaludding Rizvi, Inamur Rahman, Mumtaz Malik, Saleem Abbasi, Khursheed Ali and Altafur Rahman were felicitated on this occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened