AIBA bans Indian boxers from participating in international tournaments
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has issued a directive that bars Indian boxers from participating in international meets.
According to a report in a leading Indian daily, the international body’s decision came in response to a letter from the Sports Authority of India (SAI) that asked it to come up with a solution that would ensure Indian boxers’ participation in the upcoming international tourneys.
"Since both Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and IABF are suspended, we asked AIBA who would be in charge of sending in entries to various competitions,” the daily quoted a source as saying.
“We wanted them to make suitable arrangements so that our boxers did not suffer."
"In reply, AIBA said Indian boxers will not be able to participate in any of the events organized by the world body or recognized by it for the time being," the daily reported.
In December last year, the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) was suspended by the AIBA for "possible manipulation" of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in the Asian country reeling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song