AIBA bans Indian boxers from participating in international tournaments
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has issued a directive that bars Indian boxers from participating in international meets.
According to a report in a leading Indian daily, the international body’s decision came in response to a letter from the Sports Authority of India (SAI) that asked it to come up with a solution that would ensure Indian boxers’ participation in the upcoming international tourneys.
"Since both Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and IABF are suspended, we asked AIBA who would be in charge of sending in entries to various competitions,” the daily quoted a source as saying.
“We wanted them to make suitable arrangements so that our boxers did not suffer."
"In reply, AIBA said Indian boxers will not be able to participate in any of the events organized by the world body or recognized by it for the time being," the daily reported.
In December last year, the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) was suspended by the AIBA for "possible manipulation" of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in the Asian country reeling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy