AIBA bans Indian boxers from participating in international tournaments
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has issued a directive that bars Indian boxers from participating in international meets.
According to a report in a leading Indian daily, the international body’s decision came in response to a letter from the Sports Authority of India (SAI) that asked it to come up with a solution that would ensure Indian boxers’ participation in the upcoming international tourneys.
"Since both Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and IABF are suspended, we asked AIBA who would be in charge of sending in entries to various competitions,” the daily quoted a source as saying.
“We wanted them to make suitable arrangements so that our boxers did not suffer."
"In reply, AIBA said Indian boxers will not be able to participate in any of the events organized by the world body or recognized by it for the time being," the daily reported.
In December last year, the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) was suspended by the AIBA for "possible manipulation" of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in the Asian country reeling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA
- Investor wealth surges by over Rs 2.69 lakh crore in three days