AIBA bans Indian boxers from participating in international tournaments
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has issued a directive that bars Indian boxers from participating in international meets.
According to a report in a leading Indian daily, the international body’s decision came in response to a letter from the Sports Authority of India (SAI) that asked it to come up with a solution that would ensure Indian boxers’ participation in the upcoming international tourneys.
"Since both Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and IABF are suspended, we asked AIBA who would be in charge of sending in entries to various competitions,” the daily quoted a source as saying.
“We wanted them to make suitable arrangements so that our boxers did not suffer."
"In reply, AIBA said Indian boxers will not be able to participate in any of the events organized by the world body or recognized by it for the time being," the daily reported.
In December last year, the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) was suspended by the AIBA for "possible manipulation" of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in the Asian country reeling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today