AIBA bans Indian boxers post World Championships
New Delhi: The International Boxing Federation (AIBA) has decided to extend the Indian federation`s suspension to its boxers and coaches. However, the Indians would be able to compete in the Oct 11-27 World Championships as AIBA had already "authorised" their participation.
AIBA, which had suspended the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) in December for "possible manipulation" in its elections, says it is still doesn`t know when the IBF plans to hold fresh polls.
"At its annual meeting held on July 16 in Jeju Island, Korea, the AIBA executive committee decided to ask the IBF to organise new elections as soon as possible (within 3 months, thus no later than Nov 4) according to the AIBA statutes and bylaws as well as to the AIBA election guidelines, and in the presence of a returning officer who will oversee the whole election process," AIBA communications director Sebastien Gillot said on Tuesday.
"The IBF Constitution was also recently revised by AIBA and sent back to the IBF for its comments and approval. No communication has been received so far from the IBF."
Gillot made it clear that IBF will remain suspended until it gets its house in order and now the suspension also applies to the athletes.
"Until the election process is completed, the IBF is still provisionally suspended. All its membership rights have been suspended including the participation of Indian boxers and coaches in any AIBA competition from now on, except for any competition for which an authorization to participate has already been granted, which is the case in respect of the World Boxing Championships in Almaty," he added.
In February, AIBA had allowed Indian boxers to compete in international tournaments despite IBF`s suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’