AIBA extends deadline for IBF elections by one month
Patiala: In a major reprieve to the suspended India Boxing Federation, the International Boxing Association has decided to extend the deadline for the IBF to hold a re-election.
After setting a November 4 deadline initially, the AIBA has revised it to December 4, citing a "request" from the body, which was provisionally suspended last year due to "possible manipulation" in polls.
"The AIBA is satisfied with the progress that the IBF has made with regard to the holding of new elections and the adoption of a new constitution," AIBA`s Communication Director Sebastien Gillot said.
Gilot said the AIBA is also satisfied with IBF`s progress in amending its Constitution to make it compliant with the world body`s statute.
"Last Monday, August 26, the AIBA provided feedback to the IBF on the draft constitution and the parties are very close to agreeing a final form of the constitution. The IBF is moving forward with its internal approval process," Gillot said.
Earlier, the Indian boxers were given the go ahead to participate in the October World Championships but the world body has decided to bar them from any competition after that if the IBF fails to conduct a re-election.
Gillot said the decision to toughen the stand against the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) post the World Championships was taken at the world body`s annual meeting last month.
The Indian boxers have been allowed to compete internationally so far under the AIBA flag but officials have been completely barred from any event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened