AICF recommends Viswanathan Anand for Bharat Ratna
Chennai: All India Chess Federation on Tuesday decided to recommend Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for the coveted `Bharat Ratna` award.
At its Central Council meeting this morning, the Federation unanimously passed a resolution to recommend World Champion Anand for the most prestigious award.
The Central Council also unanimously decided to disaffiliate West Bengal Chess Association and formed an Ad-hoc committee to run the affairs of the West Bengal Chess.
The members of the Ad-hoc committee are: Debashis Barua, Atanu Lahari (Convener) and Tharun Banerjee
It was also decided to explore the possibility of tying up with Tenvic Sports (Founded by former India cricketer Anil Kumble) with regard to setting up a National Chess Academy which will try to promote chess coaching.
The Central Council also expressed gratitude for the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for decided to implement chess in school program (7-17 yrs) from the next academic year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet