Ajay Singh Chautala out, former IAS officer in fray for TTFI top post
New Delhi: With the jailed Ajay Singh Chautala on his way out after completing three terms, former IAS officer PC Chaturvedi is tipped to become the new President of the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) when the body holds its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on March 17.
Chaturvedi, who is working as the senior vice president with the federation, will take over from Chautala, who is currently lodged in jail following his conviction in a teachers recruitment scam in Haryana.
"We have received a nomination for the post of the President from P C Chaturvedi. The AGM will be held on March 17 in Lucknow," said TTFI general secretary Dhanraj Choudhary said.
The TTFI, in a special body meeting called in January, had amended its constitution by incorporating the provisions with regard to age and tenure as given in the National Sports Code.
"The elections will be held under the new guidelines prescribed in the sports code, he said.
Four days ago, the TTFI had received a letter from the sports ministry asking for the removal of Chautala from the body which was going into elections in 10 days` time.
Chautala had already decided not to fight for the top post after completing his three terms (of four years each) since being appointed in 2001.
The agenda for the body will be to finalise the competition and training calendar for the players apart from the organisation of the Commonwealth Table Tennis Championship which will be held here in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read