Alberto Contador staying at Tinkoff-Saxo
Two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador on Tuesday announced that he would extend his contract for a further year with the Tinkoff-Saxo team.
Madrid: Two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador on Tuesday announced that he would extend his contract for a further year with the Tinkoff-Saxo team.
The Spaniard`s current contract with the team expires at the end of this season and there had been some indications that the 32-year-old was considering retirement.
But in a posting on his Twitter account Contador said: "Hello all, happy to anounce that in 2016 will continue being rider of tinkoff saxo.!!!
Climb specialist Contador, who has won all three major tours, is due to take part in this week`s Tirreno-Adriatico stage race in Italy which starts on Wednesday.
His main rivals in that will be reigning Tour de France champion Vincenzo Nibali and Giro d`Italia champion the Colombian climber Nairo Quintana, while Contador won the Tour of Spain last season.
Tinkoff-Saxo team boss Oleg Tinkov said on Twitter: "Best stays with the best".
Contador is among the favourites for the 2015 Tour de France, which begins on July 4 in Utrecht.
He previously won cycling`s biggest prize in 2007 and 2009 as well as the Tour of Spain in 2008, 2012 and 2014 and the Tour of Italy in 2008.