Aleksej, Ruiyuan lead at Chennai Open chess tournament
Chennai: Top seed Aleksej Aleksandrov of Belarus and untitled Chinese star Yu Ruiyuan shared the lead with seven points at the end of the eighth round of the SDAT-RMK 4th Chennai Open International Grandmasters Chess tournament.
Sharing the second spot were ten players – Grandmasters Mikhailo Oleksienko (Ukraine), Marat Dzhumaev (Uzbekistan), Hoang Thanh Trang (Hungary), two untitled Chinese stars, Ma Qun and Zeng Chongsheng and Indians in Grandmasters S P Sethuraman and Deepan Chakravarthi, and International Masters M R Venkatesh, P Karthikeyan and Akshayraj Kore at 6.5 points each.
The contingent from China has been the most impressive so far. While Yu Ruiyuan held the top seed Aleksandrov to a comfortable draw, Ma Qun held International Master P Karthikeyan to another draw.
Zeng Chongsheng had some anxious moments against Grandmaster Hoang Thanh Trang of Hungary but the former cleverly liquidated into a Rook vs. Opposite colour Bishop, ending with a pawn down and held on grimly to draw the game.
The Indians, Sethuraman and Chakravarthi scored fluent victories against International Masters R Siddharth and Vishnu Prasanna, respectively, while International Master M R Venkatesh prevailed over Vakhidov Jahongir of Uzbekistan in a Nimzo Indian game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic