All India Basketball Tournament: Punjab, IOB men make winning start
Mumbai: Punjab opened their campaign in the 28th Ramu Memorial All India Basketball Tournament with a rather easy 76-71 victory over Karnataka at the Indian Gymkhana court here on Monday.
Punjab were not pressed enough by the Karnataka players who were struggling on all fronts. Amritpal Singh had a game-high 25 points for the Punjab team. Ranbir Singh had 11 points while Harvinder Singh had 12.
Karnataka, who had a better second half and outscored Punjab 46-43, paid for their first half lethargy. Arvind notched up 24 points while Sanjay Raj scored 12 and Srinivas Naik chipped in with 13.
In another match held late last night, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Overseas Bank fought a close game before the bankmen put their superior experience to use to prevail 72-65 with Harish Koreth coming up with 19 points and 4 rebounds.
Mihir Pandey, looking far from match fit, had 12 points and 4 rebounds, and R Vineeth contributed 12 points and got 10 rebounds.
For IAF, S Narender was the top scorer in the game with 27 points and 6 rebounds while K Pravin pulled down 5 rebounds and scored 16 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!