Amir Khan to face Danny Garcia in July
London: Former International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion Amir Khan would fight unbeaten Philadelphian Danny Garcia on July 14.
Khan’s camp was negotiating a ticking-over fight against a selected opponent while waiting for current WBA and IBF light-welterweight champions Lamont Peterson`s appeal against his failed drugs test in front of the Nevada State Athletics Commission on 13 June.
The Bolton-based boxer had been due to fight Peterson last weekend in an effort to reclaim the IBF and WBA belts he lost to the American in their chaotic fight in Washington last December.
Khan will not know until after Peterson`s appeal if his fight against García will be as the reinstated holder of those titles, or if the bout will be for the vacated championships.
Golden Boy Promotion chief executive Richard Schaefer says a unification fight for all three belts would take priority over Garcia’s commitment to defend his WBC title against Olusegun. Garcia, who comfortably out pointed the once dreadful Erik Morales in his last fight on 24 March to win the vacant WBC light-welterweight title, believes he can beat Khan in the July showdown.
“I feel like this is how it`s supposed to be: the best versus the best, both of us in our prime and giving the fans a great fight. I`m just happy … I feel like I have what it takes to beat this guy,” the Guardian quoted Garcia, as saying after the deal was done.
“I`ve watched Khan a lot. He`s a good fighter, but I don`t think he`s what people say he is, getting all this credit. I feel like he will leave himself open for some big shots and we`ll see if he can take them. I can box and I can punch. I`m going to hit him with stuff he won`t see. I can`t wait,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her