Amir Khan vows to fight ‘with brains, not balls’ under new coach Virgil Hunter
London: Boxing star Amir Khan has promised new coach Virgil Hunter that he will fight with brains and not balls in the quest to regain his world champion status.
Khan lost his WBA light welterweight crown in a shock defeat by tough American Danny Garcia in July, the second of his career or third if you include the controversial and flawed Lamont Peterson bout, raising questions about the 25-year-old’s ability to stand up to big punchers as well as his boxing brain.
Hunter has done a fantastic job in tightening up the defenses of WBC and WBA super-middleweight champ Andre Ward, and Khan hopes he can do the same for him.
“By using my brains I will definitely come back and be a world champion. The reason I was so successful in the Olympics was because I knew the guys I was facing were physically stronger than me and at the time I was a boy, so I never got involved and just stuck to my jab,” the Daily Mirror quoted Khan, as saying.
“I thought, ‘I’m a man now, but maybe I made a mistake thinking that. I will still be entertaining with good, classy boxing, with hand speed and combinations, and I will still be exciting, but I will be boxing more cautiously,” he added.
Khan lays the blame for his last defeat with a bad training camp, in particular the sparring partners.
“The reason I was all over the place and throwing long, looping shots was because I was having wars in sparring, which wasn’t right for me,” he said.
“If I was sticking to instructions in sparring by boxing clever I wouldn’t have had those problems against Garcia. Whatever I do in sparring I do in the fight. The last three fights have been wars,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!