Anand beats 39 chess wizards in ICM
Hyderabad: Unfazed by the controversy surrounding his nationality, World champion Vishawanath Anand defeated 39 opponents in a game of simultaneous chess in the International Congress of Mathematicians.
Anand, who played simultaneous chess against 35 mathematicians and five nominees selected by Infosys at the ongoing International Congress of Mathematicians, remained calm through out his game.
Anand moved from one opponent to another, making quick moves. The space of his game was so fast that six of his opponents lost the game in less than 20 moves, while 33 of them resigned gradually over a period of three hour and 15 minutes.
Just one 14-year-old chess wizard named T Srikar could manage a draw against the four-time World Champion.
Anand also gave away autographs to his fans, during the play.
Anand is embroiled in a controversy over his citizenship after the University of Hyderabad had delayed its plan to confer an honorary doctorate on him following questions raised by the Union Human Resourses Development Ministry over the chess wizard`s nationality.
Although he holds an Indian passport, the HRD Ministry raised questions on Anand`s nationality because he lives in Spain.
Upset with the HRD`s ministry`s view on his nationality, Anand today declined to accept the honour at least for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?