Anand beats Gawain Jones in London Chess
London: World champion Viswanathan Anand of India ended the win-less draught by defeating Grandmaster Gawain Jones of England in the fifth round of London Chess Classic in progress here.
Under pressure to score a victory, Anand outclassed Jones and finally recorded a win after 17 Classical Chess games.
Magnus Carlsen of Norway continued with his top form to beat Michael Adams of England. Vladimir Kramnik accounted for Luke Mcshane to complete the English rout in the fifth round while American Hikaru Nakamura coasted to a win against the world`s best woman player Judit Polgar of Hungary.
The victory took Carlsen to an astonishing thirteen points from four games in the soccer-like scoring system in place here. Kramnik remains on the toes of the leader with eleven points in his kitty and the rest of the field is now far behind.
For the record, Hikaru Nakamura holds the third spot on eight points and is followed by Michael Adams. Anand jumped to sole fifth on six points, two clear of Levon Aronian of Armenia. Gawain Jones, on two points, holds the seventh spot, while Polgar and McShane are at the bottom of the standings with just one point in their bag.
Four rounds still remain in the highest category tournament in the UK.
Surprisingly, Jones decided to give Anand a taste of his own medicine. The Samisch system, the Grunfeld defense has been deeply analysed by the world champion for the World Championship match against Gelfand earlier this year and Jones chose the same as white.
Anand went for a complicated variation and Jones was at sea right from the early stages of middle game. The Indian ace had no troubles eating the material that came his way and by move 20 everything was in control. Jones resigned after 29 moves.
Carlsen won a game that many believed should have been a draw. The Norwegian recorded his fourth victory in the tournament at the expense of Adams who mishandled a level position.
Kramnik outwitted McShane from the white side of a Slav defense game. Using the Fianchetto system, Kramnik gave a pawn to get space advantage and crashed through in 49 moves.
In the other game of the day, Nakamura capitalized on his extra pawn as black against Polgar who has been struggling with her form here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’