Anand beats Leko, joins Kramnik in top of Tal Memorial chess
Moscow: Viswanathan Anand joined Vladimir Kramnik in the top of the leaderboard of the Tal Memorial chess tournament here, defeating Peter Leko in the fifth round of the event.
The Indian chess ace, who opted for outplayed Anti-Meran
Gambit with his favourite white pieces, outplayed Leko in 45
It was Anand`s second win in the tournament. He earlier
beat Peter Svidler in the third round.
Anand and Kramnik jointly share the lead with 3.5 points
after five rounds. The duo is being followed by Lev Aronian
with three points.
All the other fifth round games in the tournament ended
in tame draws.
Anand will take on Magnus Carlsen in the sixth round.
Standings after five rounds: 1-2. Anand and Kramnik (3.5
points), 3. Aronian (3 points), 4-7. Carlsen, Gelfand,
Ivanchuk and Ponomariov (2.5 points), 8. Morozevich (2
points), 9-10. Svidler and Leko (1 point).
Round 6 pairings:
Kramnik vs Ponomariov, Leko vs Svidler, Carlsen vs Anand,
Morozevich vs Ivanchuk, Gelfand vs Aronian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre