Anand beats Leko, joins Kramnik in top of Tal Memorial chess
Moscow: Viswanathan Anand joined Vladimir Kramnik in the top of the leaderboard of the Tal Memorial chess tournament here, defeating Peter Leko in the fifth round of the event.
The Indian chess ace, who opted for outplayed Anti-Meran
Gambit with his favourite white pieces, outplayed Leko in 45
It was Anand`s second win in the tournament. He earlier
beat Peter Svidler in the third round.
Anand and Kramnik jointly share the lead with 3.5 points
after five rounds. The duo is being followed by Lev Aronian
with three points.
All the other fifth round games in the tournament ended
in tame draws.
Anand will take on Magnus Carlsen in the sixth round.
Standings after five rounds: 1-2. Anand and Kramnik (3.5
points), 3. Aronian (3 points), 4-7. Carlsen, Gelfand,
Ivanchuk and Ponomariov (2.5 points), 8. Morozevich (2
points), 9-10. Svidler and Leko (1 point).
Round 6 pairings:
Kramnik vs Ponomariov, Leko vs Svidler, Carlsen vs Anand,
Morozevich vs Ivanchuk, Gelfand vs Aronian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you