Anand draws with Carlsen; Aronian draws first blood
Sao Paulo: World Champion Viswanathan Anand could do little with his white pieces as he settled for a draw with world number one Magnus Carlsen in the first round of the fourth Bilbao Final Masters.
World number three Levon Aronian of Armenia drew the first blood in the tournament at the expense of Spaniard Francisco Vallejo Pons to emerge as the early leader in the six-player double round robin tournament, played with the soccer-like scoring system.
Also playing draw were Hikaru Nakamura of United States and Ukraine`s Vassily Ivanchuk, who both fought hard but could not dispense with parity.
With nine rounds still to come, Aronian leads the pack with three points in his kitty while Anand, Carlsen, Nakamura and Ivanchuk trail him on one point each. Vallejo Pons is at the bottom of the tables yet to open his account.
The unique event which is split into two parts - One here and the final half at Bilbao in Spain, also has Sofia rules in place to discourage draws but that hardly makes a difference with the advent of Berlin defense as a regular in elite chess.
Anand has been employing the opening as black almost on a regular basis and this time Carlsen used it against the Indian ace successfully to get an easy draw.
It all started in 2000 when Vladimir Kramnik used the Berlin successfully against Garry Kasparov in the Braingames world championship match and over the years the analysis has proved that despite slight deficiency in pawn structure, black has been known to keep the balance ticking.
Anand could do little as pieces kept disappearing off the board and soon enough the players were left with just the Bishops of opposite colours with only a drawn result possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender