Anand draws with Svidler in Tal memorial chess
Moscow (Russia): World Champion Viswanathan Anand played out a quick draw with world cup champion Peter Svidler of Russia in the second round of Tal memorial chess tournament.
It turned out to be another uneventful draw for Anand after he had signed peace with Sergey Karjakin of Russia in the first game of the tournament played on Wednesday.
The Indian ace will now have to tackle Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia in the third round game.
World Number one Magnus Carlsen of Norway was the sole winner in the second round after he got the better of Boris Gelfand of Israel.
Carlsen had opted out of the last world championship cycle but with this win against the challenger, the Norwegian has sent out warning signals to Anand.
Ukrainian Vassily Ivanchuk had got off to a flier and was again seen pressing for a win against the other first round winner Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia. Nepomniachtchi was under pressure with a pawn less endgame but eventually salvaged a draw.
Anand has been one of those players in the world against whom Svidler has always struggled. It came as no surprise when the Russian decided to take a safer route against the world champion.
Initially showing positive approach, Svidler adopted the Advance variation in the Caro Kann defense and early in the middle game went for the repetition of moves to force a draw. The game lasted a mere 23 moves, giving Anand an easy draw as black.
Carlsen made sure to be amongst the leaders following his fine triumph over Gelfand. The Norwegian went for an exchange sacrifice in the middle game to impress his presence on the queen side and was suitably rewarded as Gelfand went berserk.
The Israeli could not find anything to keep him going amidst wild complexities and eventually fell prey to some fine tactics that Carlsen came up with.
In other games of the day, Armenian Levon Aronian pressed for some advantage but did not succeed against Vladimir Kramnik of Russia.
Sergey Karjakin hoped for an advantage against Hikaru Nakamura of United States but the latter maintained the parity right till the end of this Najdorf Sicilian game. The peace was signed after 41 moves.
Carlsen, Nepomniachtchi and Ivanchuk share the lead on 1.5 points after two games in this nine round tournament. Anand shares the fourth spot currently.
Results round 2: Peter Svidler (Rus, 0.5) drew with V Anand (Ind, 1); Magnus Carlsen (Nor, 1.5) beat Boris Gelfand (Isr, 0.5); Vassily Ivanchuk (Ukr, 1.5) drew with Ian Nepomniachtchi (Rus, 1.5); Levon Aronian (Arm, 1) drew with Vladimir Kramnik (Rus, 0.5); Sergey Karjakin (Rus, 1) drew with Hikaru Nakamura (Usa, 1).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt