Anand eyeing improved show in Spain leg of Final Masters
Sao Paulo (Brazil): After a mixed outing in the Brazil leg of the event, World Champion Viswanathan Anand would be hoping for an improved finish in the Spain phase of the fourth Final Masters chess championship which re-commences at Bilbao on Thursday.
Anand, who started the event as a firm favourite along with Norwegian world number one Magnus Carlsen, started off with a couple of draws but then a shattering loss to Vassily Ivanchuk left the Indian with a lot of ground to cover in this category-22 super tournament being played under soccer scoring system.
Anand recovered fast enough to beat Francisco Vallejo Pons of Spain in the fourth game but another draw has now left him with a shared third place in the six-players double round-robin tournament.
The Brazil leg has ended and the hero, and the leader, is Ivanchuk of Ukraine. The 42-year-old has always been a feared opponent in elite circles but off-late his results have been quite spectacular.
By finishing third in the just-finished World Chess Cup, Ivanchuk is already a part of the 2013 World championship cycle and his results here have been remarkable despite the loss in the fifth round.
Ivanchuk started with a draw against Hikaru Nakamura of United States and then crushed Vallejo, outplayed Anand and won a see-saw battle against Levon Aronian of Armenia.
The only disappointing result for Ivanchuk, who is fondly called `Chuky`, in this tournament so far has been the loss at the hands of Carlsen.
But with five rounds still to come, anything is possible. The new time-zone in Bilbao and different climate could bring in huge change in fortunes as well, especially, when one knows that Ivanchuk`s chess depends on his mood.
As things currently stand, Ivanchuk is on 10 points which is three more than Nakamura, who is on second spot. Anand, Aronian and Carlsen share the third spot on six points apiece while Vallejo Pons is at the bottom of the table having just garnered three points.
Nakamura picked Vallejo as his first victim in the fifth round to nose ahead. Aronian showed much promise but possibly the unexpected loss against Ivanchuk put him off and Carlsen went down from a winning position against Vallejo Pons.
Overall, it’s been an exciting week for the players and the heat is likely to build up further when the caravan settles down in Bilbao.
Standings after round 5: 1. V Ivanchuk (UKR, 10); 2. H Nakamura (USA, 7); 3-5. V Anand (IND), M Carlsen (NOR), L Aronian (ARM) 6 each; 6. F Vallejo Pons (ESP, 3).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly