Anand held by Gelfand, scores remain level
Moscow: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand could not break the ice and settled for an easy draw as white against Challenger Boris Gelfand in the tenth game of the World Chess Championship that concluded on Thursday.
Playing his penultimate white game in the 12-games match, Anand did not get the desired advantage he was hoping for even as the position looked favourable for a long time for the Indian.
The scores are now tied 5-5 with just two games to go.
Moving a step away from the usual queen pawn, Anand made sure that the element of surprise remained in the match and went for the king pawn opening for the second time in the match.
While the first king pawn game was a draw in the Sveshnikov Sicilian, Anand went for the Rossolimo variation this time that has a solid positional basis.
Gelfand showed that he was not up to run-of-the-mill stuff and went for an uncompromising variation which is not very common at elite levels.
Anand got a minuscule advantage when Gelfand offered to trade the queens early in the opening, taking his fractured pawn structure on the queen side in the stride.
The queens were off the board on move 12 itself along with a pair of minor piece. Anand had the better structure, while Gelfand had the Bishop pair advantage in a semi-open position.
As the game progressed, Gelfand gave a display of his deep understating of the game, warding off white`s threats almost nonchalantly with routine but purposeful developing moves.
By move 15, Anand had a rook on the only open file but Gelfand was equal to the task just a couple of moves later.
Anand could not do any damage to black`s position despite a dominating knight on the queen side and when he tried to put pressure on the weak black pawn, Gelfand quickly covered it with a knight manoeuvres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands