Anand Pawar disappointed over IBL auction snub
Mumbai: Anand Pawar, ranked 43rd in the world and a member of the Indian Sudirman Cup team, has expressed his disappointment at not being bought during Monday`s Indian Badminton League auctions.
"Sad and unhappy to see that I haven`t been picked in the Indian Badminton League auction even after making a semi-final of the India Super Series event a few months back and also being part of the Indian Team for the Sudirman Cup. Could it just be bad luck or...?," he has written on his Facebook page after being snubbed at the auction held in New Delhi.
"Well, it`s hard to think of next year when 13 Indian men`s singles players have been sold and I`m the only one who hasn`t!" Pawar added.
According to badminton sources, Pawar and Ajay Jayaram, ranked 24th in the world behind the highest ranked Indian Parupally Kashyap (13th) and Gurusaidutt (21st), were the last two men`s singles players from India who were available for selection at the auction, but by then most of the franchises had exhausted their money in buying other players.
"In fact all the Indian players were put together and a lot was taken and these two were the last names to be picked. While Ajay was picked (by Hyderabad Hotshots for USD 25,000), Pawar was left in the lurch as the lone Indian player in the top 14 ranks not to be bought," they said.
They also pointed out that at the same time some lower ranked players like H S Prannoy (world rank 51), Arvind Bhat (71), Anup Sridhar (122) and Aditya Prakash (216) have surprisingly got picked.
The sources also said it was surprising to see current national women`s singles champion Sayali Gokhale failing to find a buyer from any of the six franchises.
IBL`s inaugural edition is to be held across six cities from August 14-31.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump