Aparajitha, Lakshya qualify for main draw
Chennai: Up and coming Indian stars Aparjitha Balamurugan and Lakshya Raghavendran qualified to join their compatriots Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa and Anaka Alankamony in the main draw of the 2011 seasons’ first WISPA Squash Challenger series commencing on Wednesday at the Indian Squash Academy.
The event will see second-seeded Dipika, world ranked 23, play unseeded Siyoli Waters of South Africa and fourth seed Joshna (32) take on Czech Olga Eitlova. Anaka will cross swords with top-seeded Donna Urquhart of Australia.
The event is being conducted by the Squash Rackets Federation of India along with Tamil Nadu Squash Rackets Association. The final will be held on April 23.
In the final qualifying matches held here today, top seed Aparajitha progressed to the main draw with a clinical 11-7, 11-3, 11-3, win over Mayuri Namasivaysam (India) in 25 minutes, while Lakshya defeated Sai Meera in an exciting match.
Sai Meera won the first game in 11-7 and but after losing the second game at 8-11, came back strongly to score a 11-1 win and lead 2-1. But, the under-15 National Champion, Lakshya exerted herself in ther next games to clinch the tie. Lakshya
won at 7-11, 11-8, 1-11, 11-7, 11-05 and set up a main draw clash against seventh-seeded Tennilee Swartz of South Africa, while Aparjitha fights fifth seed Siti Munirah of Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened