Aparajitha, Lakshya qualify for main draw
Chennai: Up and coming Indian stars Aparjitha Balamurugan and Lakshya Raghavendran qualified to join their compatriots Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa and Anaka Alankamony in the main draw of the 2011 seasons’ first WISPA Squash Challenger series commencing on Wednesday at the Indian Squash Academy.
The event will see second-seeded Dipika, world ranked 23, play unseeded Siyoli Waters of South Africa and fourth seed Joshna (32) take on Czech Olga Eitlova. Anaka will cross swords with top-seeded Donna Urquhart of Australia.
The event is being conducted by the Squash Rackets Federation of India along with Tamil Nadu Squash Rackets Association. The final will be held on April 23.
In the final qualifying matches held here today, top seed Aparajitha progressed to the main draw with a clinical 11-7, 11-3, 11-3, win over Mayuri Namasivaysam (India) in 25 minutes, while Lakshya defeated Sai Meera in an exciting match.
Sai Meera won the first game in 11-7 and but after losing the second game at 8-11, came back strongly to score a 11-1 win and lead 2-1. But, the under-15 National Champion, Lakshya exerted herself in ther next games to clinch the tie. Lakshya
won at 7-11, 11-8, 1-11, 11-7, 11-05 and set up a main draw clash against seventh-seeded Tennilee Swartz of South Africa, while Aparjitha fights fifth seed Siti Munirah of Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Anxious mother fox waits while men work to rescue her trapped cub– Watch the emotional moment!
- Attention Malaika! Hubby Arbaaz Khan is all set to romance Sunny Leone on reel
- Fallujah offensive against Iraq: Five things you need to know about
- Prime Minister wishes Goans on statehood day
- IPL 2016: Hilarious! When Umar Akmal congratulated David Warner-led SRH for winning Pakistan Super League