Archery: Seven Indians storm into semis
Kolkata: In a memorable day for Indians, seven of them made the semifinals in different categories of the first Asian Grand Prix archery in Bangkok on Friday.
According to information received here, Mangal Singh Champia made the men`s individual recurve semifinals after 2007 to set up a last four clash against Spain`s Elisa Cuesta.
Another team player, Chekrovolu Swuro will take on Bishindee Urangungalay of Mongolia in the women`s recurve semifinals.
Three Indian compound archers moved into the last four stage.
National champion Rajat Chauhan will take on Nguyen Tien Cuong of Vietnam, while Chittibomma Jignas and Ritul Chatterjee will play each other in the semifinals.
If Chauhan manages to prevail over the Vietnamese, it could be clean sweep for India for the first time at a continental meet.
In the women`s compound section, veteran Jhano Hansdah and young Gagandeep Kaur will meet Ngeain Aung of Myanmar and Fatin Nurfatehah Mat Salleh of Malaysia respectively.
All the semifinals and the finals of the individual sections will be played tomorrow.
The rest of the Indians failed to go past the last eight hurdle.
Former compound men`s National champion Chinna Raju Srither was the lone Indian to lose in quarterfinals.
The draw of luck pitted World Junior champion Deepika Kumari and Chekrovolu Swuro in the pre-quarterfinals where the latter triumphed.
Two other Indian women recurve archers, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Rimil Buriuly too were eliminated in the last 16.
Manjudha Soy and debutante Parveena went out of contention in the women`s compound individual sections in the last 16 stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read