Archery World Cup final: Indian women’s team to take on China for gold medal
Kolkata: India finally came good assuring themselves at least a silver medal at the Archery World Cup Stage 3 being held in Medellin, Colombia.
The women`s recurve team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Rimil Biruly, seeded No 2, lived up to their billing as they ousted the US opponents to make the final on Friday.
In the battle of heavyweights on Sunday, the Indian trio will take on the top seeded Chinese boasting London Olympics team silver medallists Jing Xu and Ming Cheng for the gold medal.
In the semis, Indians started poorly to trail the US team Michelle Gilbert, Miranda Leek and Khatuna Lorig 51-55 after the first end.
It was a reversal of fortunes in the second end as the Indians cut the Americans` four-point lead with a 55 to make it 106-all.
Both teams matched against each other as they were locked 162-162 taking the battle to an exciting fourth and final end.
India were a picture of consistency as they shot the X-ring and a perfect 10 for a 54, while the US faltered with a 49 as the former booked their final berth with 216-211 win.
Earlier in the quarters, India had beaten Venezuela 224-201.
India will have another hope in the compound men`s team event where Rajat Chouhan, Ratan Singh Khuraijam and Sandeep Kumar will fight for a bronze against the hosts Colombians in the match scheduled later in the day.
The Indian trio, who had excelled posting 236 in their win over El Salvador team in the quarters, had a heartbreaking three points loss to the second seeded Frenchmen in the semis.
Sixth seeded Indians had a slender one point lead after the first end but Pierre-Julien Deloche, Christophe Doussot and Dominique Genet had a perfect second end of 60 as they went on to clinch 234-231.
India`s hope in the men`s recurve team had ended with their 220-223 loss to Canada in the quarters as the trio of Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Atanu Das continued their woeful form.
Inexperienced compound women`s team of Trisha Deb, Lily Chanu P and Jyothi Surekha Vennam too made a quarterfinal exit going doing to their US opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections