Armstrong dope case a warning to potential cheats, says WADA
Shanghai: American cyclist Lance Armstrong`s fall from grace sent a clear message to sportsmen and women around the world that the anti-doping agencies are determined to catch drug cheats no matter who they are, World Anti-doping Agency (WADA) head John Fahey said here Friday.
Last week US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) revealed a report of 1,000 pages, including testimonies of Armstrong`s 11 former teammates, on systematic doping in the former US Postal/Discovery cycling team, masterminded by Armstrong, reports Xinhua.
About six weeks ago, USADA stripped the 41-year-old cancer survivor of his results dating back to Aug 1, 1998, including his unprecedented seven Tour de France titles between 1999 and 2005.
Fahey said fame could not protect a drug cheat from punishments.
"No matter how important, how successful, how powerful you are, if you are cheating, you will eventually get caught. You`ll bring shame on yourself and on your family and on your country," said Fahey during the Oct 17-18 Asian anti-doping education symposium here.
"I think the Armstrong case demonstrates there are good people out there who will continuously be vigilant and strong to catch drug cheats no matter who they are no matter, what country they are in and no matter how good they are in sport," he said. "So I hope there is a message for all the sportsmen and women around the world."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested