‘Armstrong intended to use testicular cancer as card to play if caught doping’
New York: Lance Armstrong’s former U.S. Postal teammate, Jonathan Vaughters has claimed in a sworn affidavit that the American intended to use his testicular cancer as a card to play if his doping sins ever came out in open. Vaughters also said in his affidavit that Armstrong blamed the spread of his cancer on the fact that the International Cycling Union (UCI), the sport’s governing body, didn’t detect high levels of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin in his body when it tested the cyclist.
The drug, known as hCG, is taken by males who are steroid users to boost their natural testosterone levels and prevent testicular atrophy. Vaughters revealed he had a conversation with Armstrong in which he told him that the UCI should have detected a high level of hCG in his doping controls when he had cancer but failed to do so. Vaughters further added that Armstrong then told him that if he ever has a doping problem then he has this card to play.
Last week, Armstrong admitted to doping during his two-part interview with Oprah Winfrey, and said the PEDs were behind his seven Tour de France victories, titles which have since been stripped from him by the United States Anti-Doping Agency. Armstrong told Winfrey that he did not think PEDs were responsible for his cancer, which he was diagnosed with and battled before his Tour victories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand