Arun Kumar named Sushil`s stand-by for World Wrestling C`ships
New Delhi: Arun Kumar has been named stand-by for London Olympics silver medallist grappler Sushil Kumar in the 22-member Indian team announced for the upcoming World Wrestling Championships to be held at Budapest, Hungary.
One wrestler each has been named in the seven weight categories in three divisions -- Greco Roman, Freestyle and Female wrestling -- for the marquee event to be held from September 16-22, except in the 66kg freestyle category, which Sushil represents.
Although the Indian team, which last participated in the Asian Championships here in April, has already left for a training camp in the host city, star grappler Sushil along with injured Yogeshwar Dutt would be flying next week.
"I will be going to Budapest for the Championships. I will definitely take part in the competition," said Sushil.
Sushil last played a competitive bout at the London Olympics where he lost in the gold medal match.
A shoulder injury has kept the 30-year-old out of action for over an year, but Sushil said "it has completely healed now".
Arun had won a gold medal at the Junior Asian Wrestling Championships at Jakarta in 2011.
London Olympics bronze medallist Yogeshwar has already been forced out of the championships due to a recurring knee problem and Bajrang, who claimed bronze in the Asian championships earlier this year in Yogeshwar`s absence, has replaced him in the 60kg category.
Last year`s bronze medallist at the world event, Babita too could not make the cut for the women`s 55kg category as she lost to junior Pooja Dhanda in the trials last month.
Another junior wrestler Satyawart Kadian, who won bronze at the World Junior Wrestling Championships last month, has been rewarded with a slot in the senior team.
Freestyle: Amit Kumar (55kg), Bajrang (60kg), Arun Kumar/Sushil Kumar (66kg), Narsingh Pancham Yadav (74kg), Pawan Kumar (84kg), Satyawart Kadian (96kg) and Hitender (120kg).
Greco Roman: Gaurav Sharma (55kg), Ravinder Singh (60kg), Sandeep Tulsi Yadav (66kg), Rajbir Chhikara (74kg), Harpreet Singh (84kg), Hardeep (96kg) and Naveen (120kg).
Female: Nirmala Devi (48kg), Vinesh (51kg), Pooja Dhanda (55kg), Geeta (59kg), Geetika Jakhar (63kg), Navjot Kaur (67kg) and Jyoti (72kg).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA
- Investor wealth surges by over Rs 2.69 lakh crore in three days