Arunima requests UP govt to help set up sports academy
Lucknow: Arunima Sinha, who achieved a world record feat of becoming the first woman amputee to scale Mt. Everest, wants to set up a multi-facility sports academy for physically challenged athletes and has requested the state government to help realise her dream project.
"(Uttar Pradesh) Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had in the past promised me to help in setting up of the academy," Arunima, who arrived here after achieving the rare feat, said.
"Before starting off for the Everest expedition I had met the CM and he promised me that once the expedition was over he will help in realising my dream of setting up an academy for physically challenged and poor children," the former national volleyball player said.
Arunima, who hails from Ambedkar Nagar district in UP, said that she had already purchased land in Unnao and wants help in setting up the facility.
"I am hopeful that the CM will fulfil his promise of providing facility in it," she said.
Arunima was pushed from Padmavat Express train on February 11, 2011 when she was on her way to Delhi to appear in recruitment exam of Central Industrial Security Force.
She injured her leg badly in the accident, which was later amputated by the doctors below the knee.
"I was completely shattered after the incident and people started calling me helpless. I wanted to remove that `helpless` word. Therefore I thought of taking the toughest challenge in the world," she said.
She said she would always be thankful to the first Indian woman to climb the Everest, Bachendri Pal, along with his brother Rahul for her success.
"Bachendriji supported me at every step. She put her faith in me at the time when I was not even able to walk properly," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar