Arvind, Anand reach second round of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttlers Arvind Bhat and Anand Pawar crossed the first round hurdle but it was curtains for their compatriots P Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram in the men`s singles competition of the German Open Grand Prix Gold in Mulheim an der Ruhr.
Former National champion Arvind reached the second round after Scott Evans retired midway at 21-9, while Anand defeated Eetu Heino of Finland 21-12 21-16.
However, Commonwealth Games Bronze medallist P Kashyap lost a grim battle against Singapore`s Zi Liang Derek Wong 15-21 21-23, while Ajay Jayaram suffered a 9-21 19-21 defeat against fifth seed Simon Santoso of Indonesia.
Arvind will now take on fourth seed Korean Hyun Il Lee in the second round, while Anand will be up against Santoso.
India`s mixed doubles pair of V Diju and Jwala Gutta also failed to cross the first round hurdle and suffered a 21-18 9-21 19-21 defeat to Wai Hong Wong and Hoi Wah Chau of Hong Kong in a 51-minute hard-fought match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan