Arvind, Gurusaidutt make main draw of Hong Kong Open
New Delhi: India`s men`s singles players Arvind Bhat and RMV Gurusaidutt on Tuesday made the main draw of the Hong Kong Super Series after notching up contrasting wins in the qualifiers.
Two-time National Champion Arvind beat Yun Lung Chan 15-21, 21-12, 23-21 in the first round, before getting past Ka Long Ng 21-18, 12-21, 21-18 in the second round. He will next play Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei on Wednesday.
2008 Commonwealth Youth Games gold medallist Gurusaidutt too had a good day in office as he spanked Toby Ng of Canada 21-4, 21-7 and then thrashed Dick Long Chan 21-1, 21-9 to make it to the main draw, where he will face Brice Leverdez of France.
Another Indian qualifier Sourabh Verma, however, retired midway at 13-21 5-9 to hand over the match to local player Ka Long and crash out of the event.
Teen sensation PV Sindhu also looked on course to make it to the main draw when she beat Wing Chiu Tsang 21-9, 21-17 but she faltered against Ying Suet Tse 17-21,16-21 in the second round, bringing a premature end to her campaign.
World number 56 Arvind said it was satisfying to make it to the main draw.
"I liked my first match today morning where I beat Lung of Hong Kong. Especially in third where I was down 15-9. Normally in such situations its match over for the guy who is on 9. But somehow I felt I could pull off this match and finally prevailed 23-21," he said.
"Tomorrow I play Chou from Taipei. I played him in Dutch Open just about a month ago. Sadly I had lost that one. But tomorrow is another day and I know a few things about him for tomorrow. So hope to have a good one," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you