Arvind, Gurusaidutt make main draw of Hong Kong Open
New Delhi: India`s men`s singles players Arvind Bhat and RMV Gurusaidutt on Tuesday made the main draw of the Hong Kong Super Series after notching up contrasting wins in the qualifiers.
Two-time National Champion Arvind beat Yun Lung Chan 15-21, 21-12, 23-21 in the first round, before getting past Ka Long Ng 21-18, 12-21, 21-18 in the second round. He will next play Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei on Wednesday.
2008 Commonwealth Youth Games gold medallist Gurusaidutt too had a good day in office as he spanked Toby Ng of Canada 21-4, 21-7 and then thrashed Dick Long Chan 21-1, 21-9 to make it to the main draw, where he will face Brice Leverdez of France.
Another Indian qualifier Sourabh Verma, however, retired midway at 13-21 5-9 to hand over the match to local player Ka Long and crash out of the event.
Teen sensation PV Sindhu also looked on course to make it to the main draw when she beat Wing Chiu Tsang 21-9, 21-17 but she faltered against Ying Suet Tse 17-21,16-21 in the second round, bringing a premature end to her campaign.
World number 56 Arvind said it was satisfying to make it to the main draw.
"I liked my first match today morning where I beat Lung of Hong Kong. Especially in third where I was down 15-9. Normally in such situations its match over for the guy who is on 9. But somehow I felt I could pull off this match and finally prevailed 23-21," he said.
"Tomorrow I play Chou from Taipei. I played him in Dutch Open just about a month ago. Sadly I had lost that one. But tomorrow is another day and I know a few things about him for tomorrow. So hope to have a good one," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth