Arvind loses in second round of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Arvind Bhat went down fighting against Hyun Il Lee of Singapore 19-21 21-19 15-21 in the second round of the men`s singles event in the German Open Grand Prix Gold in Mulheim an der Ruhr.
It was also curtains for P Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram, both of whom had lost in the first round itself.
In the women`s singles, P V Sindhu suffered a defeat at the hands of Juan GU of Singapore 14-21 15-21 to bow out of the first round. The match lasted 33 minutes.
India`s mixed doubles pair of V Diju and Jwala Gutta also failed to make it to the second round after suffering a 21-18, 9-21, 19-21 defeat against Wai Hong Wong and Hoi Wah Chau of Hong Kong in a 51-minute hard-fought match.
Former National champion Arvind, who had reached the second round after Scott Evans retired midway at 21-9, posed a tough challenge to his opponent, the fourth seed Lee, before losing the battle in little less than an hour today.
Other than Arvind, Anand Pawar was another player who had managed to cross the first round hurdle in the men`s singles competition after defeating Eetu Heino of Finland 21-12, 21-16 yesterday.
However, Commonwealth Games Bronze medallist P Kashyap lost a grim battle against Singapore`s Zi Liang Derek Wong 15-21, 21-23, while Ajay Jayaram suffered a 9-21, 19-21 defeat against fifth seed Simon Santoso of Indonesia.
Six seed Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark had defeated India`s Sourabh Varma 19-21, 21-17, 21-15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!