Arvind stunned by Ajay in qualifying round of India Open
New Delhi: German Open winner, Arvind Bhat, suffered a shock defeat to hitherto-unknown Ajay Kumar K in the qualifying round of the USD 250,000 India Super Series at the Siri Fort Sports Complex on Tuesday.
The 34-year-old Indian, who had turned back the clock to win the German Open Grand Prix Gold early last month, suffered a 20-22 21-23 loss to Ajay, who set up a clash with World number one Lee Chong Wei in the main draw.
"It is my biggest win. For the first time I will be playing in the main draw of the Super Series event and I am happy with my performance," said Ajay, who had beaten Deepak Khatri 21-13 21-15 in the first round.
"I had prepared well for the match. My coach Govardhar reddy sir helped. He is an experienced player, so I wanted to be more aggresive on the court. The parallel rallies were not working so I changed my game and made him run back and forth. My stroke were good today," said the Hyderabadi.
The 23-year-old, ranked 301 in the world, said he had to endure a lot to play Badminton.
"I suffered a lot to play badminton. Due to bad result, I was sent out of the Gopichand academy but my parents and coach motivated me. In November 2012, I suffered an ankle injury.
"I started playing again in August 2013, so I lost almost a year. It was a big task for me to compete against all the Indian international players. After injury I lost all sponsors, so it was difficult," said the Indian, who had reached the quarterfinals of Bahrain International.
Arvind credited his opponent for playing well in the crucial moments. "He held on at the final
important moments. I had cold and cough but it is not the reason for my loss. I think he played better," he said.
Among others, Shreyansh Jaiswal defeated Subhankar Dey 21-19 14-21 21-8, veteran Anup Sridhar, who had got a walkover in the first round, prevailed over Chetan Anand 21-14 21-16 to reach the main draw in another men`s singles match. Jaiswal will take on Brice Leverdez of France in the first round while Anup will take on other qualifier Suppanyu Avihingsanon tomorrow.
In women`s singles, Shruti Mundada and Mudra Dhainje also reached the main draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- 'Mann Ki Baat': From praising India's daughters to concern over loss of lives in Kashmir - What all PM Narendra Modi said
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew, restrictions continue for 51st day; businesses suffer losses of Rs 7,500 crore
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala