Asafa Powell fails drug test, banned for 18 months
Kingston: Jamaica’s former world 100m record holder Asafa Powell has been slapped an 18-month ban for failing a dope test.
Powell, 31, took the banned stimulant oxilofrine at last year`s national championships, but the suspension has been backdated and will end Dec 20, reports BBC.
Powell described the decision "unfair and unjust", and said a legal supplement he took, Epiphany D1, was contaminated.
He plans to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Fellow sprinter Sharone Simpson was also banned Tuesday by the Jamaican anti-doping disciplinary panel.
Simpson, an Olympic 4x100m relay gold and silver medallist, is a training partner of Powell and took the same substance at the same meet.
Another Jamaican, Olympic discus thrower Allison Randall, was also handed a two-year ban Tuesday for using a prohibited diuretic.
Powell and Simpson, who provided their samples on June 21, 2013, will miss the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July.
The three-member disciplinary panel that ruled on Powell said he had been "negligent".
IAAF spokesman Chris Turner said there would be no comment from athletics` world governing body while the case was still open.
Powell, the biggest name in Jamaican sprinting before the rise of double world and Olympic champion Usain Bolt, missed last year`s World Championships as a result of his failed test.
In January, he testified that Canadian physical trainer Chris Xuereb provided him with nine supplements, including Epiphany D1.
Xuereb has denied providing performance-enhancing drugs.
Prior to the verdict and in the wake of the Veronica Campbell-Brown case, Powell`s coach, Stephen Francis, called on the Jamaican Prime Minister to disband the country`s anti-doping organisation and sub-contract the testing procedures to a credible overseas testing agency.
Earlier this year, the Court of Arbitration for Sport cleared Campbell-Brown, a two-time Olympic 200m champion, of a doping violation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video