Asafa Powell says will not retire, hopes to clear name
Kingston (Jamaica): Former world 100 metres record holder Asafa Powell has no plans to retire despite a positive finding for a banned stimulant and hopes that tests of his B sample will clear his name, the Jamaican sprinter said on Tuesday.
"No, never thought about it," the 30-year-old said.
"I was just shocked you know," he said of the positive test, "but never once thought about giving up."
The comments were the first by the sprinter since issuing a July 14 statement saying his A sample had returned "adverse findings" for the banned substance oxilophrine (methylsynephrine) at last month`s national championships.
"At first I thought it was joke, you know, I thought I was being pranked!" Powell said. "Because that was the first something like that has ever happened; I was confused after and just in disbelief."
Powell, who held the 100m world record from 2005 until compatriot Usain Bolt broke it in 2008, said he had requested his B sample be tested and awaited the results.
"Should this sample return adverse results, my team and I hope that the hearings will happen as fast as possible so as to allow me to return to my team, to once again represent my country and to make my family, friends and fans proud," he said in a statement issued before the interview.
The statement said Powell had never knowingly taken any substances that could have given him an unfair advantage.
"All of our checks told us that the supplements were fit for consumption by professional athletes."
Powell was one of five Jamaicans to test positive at the championships. Both he and 2008 Olympic 100m joint silver medalist Sherone Simpson had adverse findings for the stimulant oxilophrine.
Simpson, who also participated in Tuesday`s interview, said she too hoped to clear her name and to continue representing Jamaica.
"Retirement was not in my thoughts," she said.
Both Simpson and Powell declined to answer questions about trainer Chris Xuereb or the supplements they were taking prior to and after they started to work with the Canadian in May.
Xuereb has denied providing them performance-enhancing drugs and said the sprinters should take responsibility for their failed dope tests.
Powell said he continued to train almost daily.
"It`s just very unfortunate that I won`t be at the world championship," said the sprinter, who has been a member of two Jamaican world record 4x100 meters relay teams.
"But I`m still looking forward. There`s a lot more to go... The world championship again in two years, and then the Olympic Games (in 2016)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi