Ashwini-Tarun lose in first round
Odense (Denmark): Mixed doubles shuttlers Ashwini Ponnappa and Tarun Kona bowed out of the Denmark Open Super Series Premier, losing in straight games in the first round here.
The Indian duo lost to the unseeded Indonesian combo of Markis Kido and Pia Zebadiah Bernadeth 18-21, 15-21 in 28 minutes Tuesday in their first ever clash.
Though the first game was a neck-and-neck encounter till 16-all, the World No.43 Indonesian pair surged ahead when it mattered, earning two game points of which they converted the first one.
The Indian pair, ranked 43rd in the world, matched the Indonesian shuttlers till 11-all, after which it was a complete one sided game.
This loss ended the Indian challenge in mixed doubles competition here.
Elsewhere, Mumbai`s Anand Pawar qualified for the main draw of the men`s singles by winning two back-to-back qualifying matches.
He first demolished Russia`s Ivan Sozonov 21-7, 21-7 in 21 minutes before defeating Thailand`s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk 21-19, 21-16 in 40 minutes.
Pawar next faces Japanese fifth seed Sho Sasaki in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown