Ashwini-Tarun lose in first round
Odense (Denmark): Mixed doubles shuttlers Ashwini Ponnappa and Tarun Kona bowed out of the Denmark Open Super Series Premier, losing in straight games in the first round here.
The Indian duo lost to the unseeded Indonesian combo of Markis Kido and Pia Zebadiah Bernadeth 18-21, 15-21 in 28 minutes Tuesday in their first ever clash.
Though the first game was a neck-and-neck encounter till 16-all, the World No.43 Indonesian pair surged ahead when it mattered, earning two game points of which they converted the first one.
The Indian pair, ranked 43rd in the world, matched the Indonesian shuttlers till 11-all, after which it was a complete one sided game.
This loss ended the Indian challenge in mixed doubles competition here.
Elsewhere, Mumbai`s Anand Pawar qualified for the main draw of the men`s singles by winning two back-to-back qualifying matches.
He first demolished Russia`s Ivan Sozonov 21-7, 21-7 in 21 minutes before defeating Thailand`s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk 21-19, 21-16 in 40 minutes.
Pawar next faces Japanese fifth seed Sho Sasaki in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- It's official! Besides Punjab, AAP to contest elections in Goa as well, confirms Arvind Kejriwal
- NEET ordinance: Union Health Minister JP Nadda to meet President on Monday
- Will meet Trump despite his dangerous views on Muslims: Cameron
- Sambhavna Seth ready to walk down the aisle! - Pics inside
- Rajnath Singh mourns killing of jawans in Manipur, says MHA monitoring situation