Ashwini-Tarun lose in first round
Odense (Denmark): Mixed doubles shuttlers Ashwini Ponnappa and Tarun Kona bowed out of the Denmark Open Super Series Premier, losing in straight games in the first round here.
The Indian duo lost to the unseeded Indonesian combo of Markis Kido and Pia Zebadiah Bernadeth 18-21, 15-21 in 28 minutes Tuesday in their first ever clash.
Though the first game was a neck-and-neck encounter till 16-all, the World No.43 Indonesian pair surged ahead when it mattered, earning two game points of which they converted the first one.
The Indian pair, ranked 43rd in the world, matched the Indonesian shuttlers till 11-all, after which it was a complete one sided game.
This loss ended the Indian challenge in mixed doubles competition here.
Elsewhere, Mumbai`s Anand Pawar qualified for the main draw of the men`s singles by winning two back-to-back qualifying matches.
He first demolished Russia`s Ivan Sozonov 21-7, 21-7 in 21 minutes before defeating Thailand`s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk 21-19, 21-16 in 40 minutes.
Pawar next faces Japanese fifth seed Sho Sasaki in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS