Asian Cycling: Manorama helps Deborah complete hat-trick
New Delhi: Deborah of Andaman and Nicobar Islands completed a hat-trick of medals in the Asian Cycling Championship here Sunday with the help of Manipur`s T. Manorama Devi.
The Indian duo clocked 38.645 sec to win the bronze in the women`s junior team sprint ahead of Malaysia`s Farihah Shahwati Mohamad Adnan and Nurul Alissa Mohamad Azman, who timed 38.793.
Thanks to Manorama and Deborah`s effort, India has been assured of a third medal in the competition. Deoborah won the bronze in the 500 metre time trial and faces South Korean Yeonhee Jang in the women`s junior sprint Monday.
Deborah has hogged the limelight so far but Sunday the 16-year-old Manorama was in focus. The pair complimented each other well in the two lap sprint opening up a sizeable gap in the opening lap at the Indira Gandhi velodrome. The Malaysians narrowed the gap in the second lap but it was not enough to trouble the Indians.
"We did not get the equipments in time but still we were able to win a medal. The fact that Deborah and I were training here since June also made a difference," said the Imphal based Manorama.
The diminutive rider took up to cycling five years ago and since then has won six gold and 10 silver medals in the national championships.
"This was my first ever international competition. I hope this effort makes my parents happy," she said referring to her ailing father.
Asked why she chose cycling, Manorama said: "I love cycling. Football is my first love but I only like to watch that on television."
Chinese Taipei girls Yu Shiou Cheng and Yu Ting Hung won the gold medal with 37.219, leaving behind the South Koreans Sarang Im and Yeonhee Jang, who recorded 37.563.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings