Asian GP medal winning archers felicitated
New Delhi: Archery Association of India (AAI) president Vijay Kumar Malhotra felicitated the Indian contingent at a function here Sunday for collecting seven medals at the recently concluded Asian Grand Prix Archery Championship in Bangkok.
The contingent, which returned to here Sunday, won three golds, three silvers and a bronze during the March 10-15 tournament.
Malhotra praised the Compound archers who clinched six of the seven medals.
The Compound women`s team comprising Gagandeep Kaur, V. Jyoti Surekha and P. Lily Chandu took gold defeating Iran. The Recurve men`s trio of Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Kapil clinched the gold from Chinese Taipei in the final by 6-0 and the Abhishek Verma and Jyothi combine grabbed the third gold in the mixed team Compound event.
Verma, however, lost his Individual Compound final, ending as the runner-up to take silver. Compound woman archer Gagandeep also took a silver in the same event. The Compound men`s team narrowly missed the gold and brought back a third silver in the final against Iran.
The single bronze was won by Sandeep Kumar in an individual Compound event.
“It is for the first time in the history of Indian archery and is a rear distinction too that Abhishek Verma scored 150 points of a possible 150 twice in a day. Such medal winning performances are a good sign and will certainly boost up the morale of our archers to give their best in other big events in 2014," Malhotra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya
- Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 hurt, 3 seriously
- People's faith in our work renewed our vigour: PM Modi at India Gate
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli praises rival captain David Warner, predicts tough final against Sunrisers Hyderabad