Aslam asks PM`s intervention to stop Dow`s Oly sponsorship
Bhopal: Hockey Olympian and former union minister, Aslam Sher Khan has sought intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to ensure that Dow Chemicals is not allowed to have any association with the 2012 London Olympic Games.
"The feelings of the people of Bhopal would be hurt if Dow Chemicals is allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games," the former captain said at a press conference on Monday.
"I have written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi about the need to ensure that Dow Chemicals, which is one of the sponsors of the event, is not allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games.
"I have also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and all members of the Congress Working Committee over the issue and sought their support," he added.
Aslam felt the least Congress could do being the ruling party was to put pressure on the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to lodge an official protest with the International Olympic Committee.
"It would be highly insensitive of the government to remain a mute spectator when MPs from a foreign country are showing greater concern regarding justice for the people of Bhopal," Aslam said.
Dow Chemicals, which last year in July signed an agreement with the IOC, is the company that took over Union Carbide, responsible for the Bhopal Gas tragedy that killed over 15,000 people and disabled lakhs in December 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price