Aslam asks PM`s intervention to stop Dow`s Oly sponsorship
Bhopal: Hockey Olympian and former union minister, Aslam Sher Khan has sought intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to ensure that Dow Chemicals is not allowed to have any association with the 2012 London Olympic Games.
"The feelings of the people of Bhopal would be hurt if Dow Chemicals is allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games," the former captain said at a press conference on Monday.
"I have written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi about the need to ensure that Dow Chemicals, which is one of the sponsors of the event, is not allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games.
"I have also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and all members of the Congress Working Committee over the issue and sought their support," he added.
Aslam felt the least Congress could do being the ruling party was to put pressure on the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to lodge an official protest with the International Olympic Committee.
"It would be highly insensitive of the government to remain a mute spectator when MPs from a foreign country are showing greater concern regarding justice for the people of Bhopal," Aslam said.
Dow Chemicals, which last year in July signed an agreement with the IOC, is the company that took over Union Carbide, responsible for the Bhopal Gas tragedy that killed over 15,000 people and disabled lakhs in December 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested