Aslam Sher Khan calls for boycott of Commonwealth Games
Bhopal: Former Hockey Olympian, Aslam
Sher Khan, on Wednesday called for boycott of the Commonwealth Games
as they were not required in a country like India.
"I have been told that Rs 28,000 crore have been spent
on the games and I feel that this was a colossal waste and
nothing else," Aslam told reporters on the day the Queen`s
Baton for the Commonwealth Games was to arrive in Madhya
He said that if this money was spent on development of
sports in the country, India might well have bagged 28 gold
medals in the Olympics.
Aslam who is now a Congress leader said that the
government should have dismissed the present organising
committee which is holding the games and entrusted the task to
people with integrity.
He said that many sports personalities including Bishen
Singh Bedi had criticised the Games on the ground that they
were not required and observed that the government is possibly
going ahead with the event only to fulfill its commitment.
The former hockey Olympian also strongly criticised Union
Sports Minister M S Gill for asking wrestling coach Satpal to
step aside at a photo session with World Championship
gold-medallist medal winner Sushil Kumar in New Delhi.
"May be Gill wanted to show to the world that he was to
be credited for the medal won by Sushil Kumar and Satpal had
nothing to do with it," Aslam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25