Aslam Sher Khan calls for boycott of Commonwealth Games
Bhopal: Former Hockey Olympian, Aslam
Sher Khan, on Wednesday called for boycott of the Commonwealth Games
as they were not required in a country like India.
"I have been told that Rs 28,000 crore have been spent
on the games and I feel that this was a colossal waste and
nothing else," Aslam told reporters on the day the Queen`s
Baton for the Commonwealth Games was to arrive in Madhya
He said that if this money was spent on development of
sports in the country, India might well have bagged 28 gold
medals in the Olympics.
Aslam who is now a Congress leader said that the
government should have dismissed the present organising
committee which is holding the games and entrusted the task to
people with integrity.
He said that many sports personalities including Bishen
Singh Bedi had criticised the Games on the ground that they
were not required and observed that the government is possibly
going ahead with the event only to fulfill its commitment.
The former hockey Olympian also strongly criticised Union
Sports Minister M S Gill for asking wrestling coach Satpal to
step aside at a photo session with World Championship
gold-medallist medal winner Sushil Kumar in New Delhi.
"May be Gill wanted to show to the world that he was to
be credited for the medal won by Sushil Kumar and Satpal had
nothing to do with it," Aslam said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference