Assam govt to enquire into Pratima`s death: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said that an enquiry would be conducted into the alleged suicide by international archer Pratima Boro during the ongoing national team selection camp in Pune.
Gogoi said not only the state but the country had lost an outstanding archer.
A special team of Assam Police would conduct the investigations into the 22-year-old archer`s death, official sources said.
Pratima`s body was brought to the state yesterday and received at the Lokopriyo Gopinath Borodoloi International Airport here by senior officials of the sports department and Northeast Frontier Railway where she was an employee.
Later her body was taken to Malouguri village in Fakiragram area of Kokrajhar district where her father had demanded a second post-mortem.
A hopeful for the 2016 Olympics at Rio de Janerio, 23-year-old Pratima allegedly committed suicide on Friday by hanging herself from the ceiling fan in her room at the Army Sports Institute (ASI).
Pratima was training at the ASI as part of the national camp.
She had represented the Indian team in several international championships and had won a gold medal in the Asian Grand Prix Championships at Seoul in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here