Assam govt to enquire into Pratima`s death: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said that an enquiry would be conducted into the alleged suicide by international archer Pratima Boro during the ongoing national team selection camp in Pune.
Gogoi said not only the state but the country had lost an outstanding archer.
A special team of Assam Police would conduct the investigations into the 22-year-old archer`s death, official sources said.
Pratima`s body was brought to the state yesterday and received at the Lokopriyo Gopinath Borodoloi International Airport here by senior officials of the sports department and Northeast Frontier Railway where she was an employee.
Later her body was taken to Malouguri village in Fakiragram area of Kokrajhar district where her father had demanded a second post-mortem.
A hopeful for the 2016 Olympics at Rio de Janerio, 23-year-old Pratima allegedly committed suicide on Friday by hanging herself from the ceiling fan in her room at the Army Sports Institute (ASI).
Pratima was training at the ASI as part of the national camp.
She had represented the Indian team in several international championships and had won a gold medal in the Asian Grand Prix Championships at Seoul in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees