Assam govt to enquire into Pratima`s death: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said that an enquiry would be conducted into the alleged suicide by international archer Pratima Boro during the ongoing national team selection camp in Pune.
Gogoi said not only the state but the country had lost an outstanding archer.
A special team of Assam Police would conduct the investigations into the 22-year-old archer`s death, official sources said.
Pratima`s body was brought to the state yesterday and received at the Lokopriyo Gopinath Borodoloi International Airport here by senior officials of the sports department and Northeast Frontier Railway where she was an employee.
Later her body was taken to Malouguri village in Fakiragram area of Kokrajhar district where her father had demanded a second post-mortem.
A hopeful for the 2016 Olympics at Rio de Janerio, 23-year-old Pratima allegedly committed suicide on Friday by hanging herself from the ceiling fan in her room at the Army Sports Institute (ASI).
Pratima was training at the ASI as part of the national camp.
She had represented the Indian team in several international championships and had won a gold medal in the Asian Grand Prix Championships at Seoul in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India