Athens Olympics 800m champion Yury Borzakovsky retires
Moscow: Yury Borzakovsky, who won gold for Russia in the men`s 800m at the 2004 Olympic Games, on Tuesday announced his retirement from competitive athletics.
"I want to announce officially the end of my sporting career," the 33-year-old, who also won gold at the 2001 world indoor championships, told the R-Sport agency.
"Now I will start work full-time as an athletics official and continue training," said Borzakovsky, who withdrew from the 2014 Russian championships because of injury.
Borzakovsky has won 11 domestic 800m gold medals between 1999-2009, and three European titles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore