Athletes fail to clear World Meet qualifying mark at Fed Cup
Patiala: The ONGC has retained the overall trophy in the 17th Federation Cup Senior Athletics Championships where not a single Indian athlete could clear even the `B` qualification mark for the World Championship.
ONGC with 177 points were far ahead of Kerala (113), Tamil Nadu (78), Haryana (71) and Punjab (66).
Although none of the athletes could cross the World Championship qualifying norms in the four-day meet, two women athletes came nearer to it in M.R. Poovamma (52.75 secs) and Asha Roy (23.70s), both having missed the `B` standard in 4/10th of a second in 400 and 200m events respectively.
In the men`s event, long-jumper Ankit Sharma (7.91 mtrs) failed to clear the 8.10 metres `B` mark.
Similarly, in the 110 metres hurdles, Siddhant Thingalaya (13.84 secs) failed to beat the 13.50 seconds.
Long jumper Mayookha Johnny grabbed her second gold medal in the triple-jump today with a decent 13.46m leap. Although she did cross 13m in all her six tries, Mayookha could not find her rhythm to go beyond 14m for seriously trying to attain the global norms.
Same was the case with Olympians Om Prakash Singh in shot put and Krishna Poonia in women`s discus throw events.
Triple jumper Arpinder Singh and quarter-miler M.R. Poovamma have been adjudged as Best Athletes of the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco