Athletes fail to clear World Meet qualifying mark at Fed Cup
Patiala: The ONGC has retained the overall trophy in the 17th Federation Cup Senior Athletics Championships where not a single Indian athlete could clear even the `B` qualification mark for the World Championship.
ONGC with 177 points were far ahead of Kerala (113), Tamil Nadu (78), Haryana (71) and Punjab (66).
Although none of the athletes could cross the World Championship qualifying norms in the four-day meet, two women athletes came nearer to it in M.R. Poovamma (52.75 secs) and Asha Roy (23.70s), both having missed the `B` standard in 4/10th of a second in 400 and 200m events respectively.
In the men`s event, long-jumper Ankit Sharma (7.91 mtrs) failed to clear the 8.10 metres `B` mark.
Similarly, in the 110 metres hurdles, Siddhant Thingalaya (13.84 secs) failed to beat the 13.50 seconds.
Long jumper Mayookha Johnny grabbed her second gold medal in the triple-jump today with a decent 13.46m leap. Although she did cross 13m in all her six tries, Mayookha could not find her rhythm to go beyond 14m for seriously trying to attain the global norms.
Same was the case with Olympians Om Prakash Singh in shot put and Krishna Poonia in women`s discus throw events.
Triple jumper Arpinder Singh and quarter-miler M.R. Poovamma have been adjudged as Best Athletes of the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh