Athletic world set to snub `murder-accused` Pistorius from major events
Johannesburg: The sporting world is set to snub Oscar Pistorius, who is accused of killing his girlfriend, from major events around the world after a court in South Africa allowed the Olympic and Paralympic star to return to international competition.
According to an English website, organisers of major athletics meetings now face a dilemma over whether to invite Pistorius to race, with many privately admitting they are reluctant to welcome Pistorius, who is awaiting trial for the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home on Valentine`s Day.
British Athletics declined to comment on the issue, but sources close to the governing body say Pistorius is unlikely to receive an invitation to run at the London Anniversary Games, to be held in the Olympic Stadium on July 27, or at the Birmingham Grand Prix on June 30.
Pistorius is also unlikely to be welcomed back to two Diamond League meetings in the United States this year.
A source claimed his gut feeling is that it would be completely unrealistic for Pistorius to get an invite to participate in these sporting events.
Athletics` governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), said they will not dictate to meeting organisers which athletes they invite to their events, but it is believed that any organisers who do invite Pistorius will risk incurring the wrath of the authorities, who fear an onslaught of negative publicity for the sport.
According to SAPA, Pistorius could face a life sentence if convicted of murder.
Pistorius claims that he mistook his girlfriend for a burglar when he opened fire through a closed bathroom door at his home in a gated community in Pretoria and he is next due in court on June 4, and his trial is likely to take place before the end of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read