Athletics Nationals end in utter chaos due to power blackout
Ranchi: The 53rd National Open Athletics Championships ended here on Tuesday in utter chaos with the closing ceremony, attended by state sports minister, being held in complete darkness for the entire period after a power blackout.
Power went off as soon as the closing ceremony began at 6 pm and the entire Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium descended into complete darkness.
There was no alternative arrangement made for such an eventuality by the organisers and the ceremony, which lasted a little over an hour, continued with the state sports minister Geetashree Oraon being shielded by her security guards by forming a circle of human bodies around her.
With the mike not working, the minister declared the Championships closed at the top of her voice and one official announced that Railways were the women`s team and overall champions. Services were declared men`s team champions.
In bizzare scenes, the organisers were seen using their mobile phone headlights to read papers while making announcements.
Tuesday’s chaotic scenes at the closing ceremony would add to the discomfiture of the organisers with the Championships which have been hit by controversies ranging from a national record being questioned by its previous holder and medals being received by athletes who had not won them during the victory ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on