Athletics Nationals end in utter chaos due to power blackout
Ranchi: The 53rd National Open Athletics Championships ended here on Tuesday in utter chaos with the closing ceremony, attended by state sports minister, being held in complete darkness for the entire period after a power blackout.
Power went off as soon as the closing ceremony began at 6 pm and the entire Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium descended into complete darkness.
There was no alternative arrangement made for such an eventuality by the organisers and the ceremony, which lasted a little over an hour, continued with the state sports minister Geetashree Oraon being shielded by her security guards by forming a circle of human bodies around her.
With the mike not working, the minister declared the Championships closed at the top of her voice and one official announced that Railways were the women`s team and overall champions. Services were declared men`s team champions.
In bizzare scenes, the organisers were seen using their mobile phone headlights to read papers while making announcements.
Tuesday’s chaotic scenes at the closing ceremony would add to the discomfiture of the organisers with the Championships which have been hit by controversies ranging from a national record being questioned by its previous holder and medals being received by athletes who had not won them during the victory ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter